Saturday, 14 May 2016

THE THING ABOUT ONLINE SHOPPING


I love the idea of online shopping at least for one thing it spares me the agony of roaming round the market or different shops looking for a particular item I need. I simply go to the website, browse through available items and click on the one I want. There's no issue of bargaining, if you can't afford it, then you can't even be bothered selecting it. You can simply sit in the comfort of your home and shop for as many items as you want, an exercise that could have taken several hours if you had to go to the market or stores around.
If you are lucky, you could stumble on good deals. That's the way most of these traders  make their money by the way, they buy stuff from alibaba and co, get free shipping and display in their shops claiming they just got back from a shopping spree in China and United Kingdom to justify the inflated prices of their goods. While there are so many benefits that come with online shopping, you cannot completely trust them and these are the reasons why.

1.Your goods may just get missing or stolen before it gets to you especially when you buy in bulk.
2. After purchasing items and waiting for delivery, They may just wake up one morning and  announce to you that the item is out of stock, thereby crashing all the plans you already had for yor  purchase.
3.Sometimes, what you see is not what you get.
4.Money is taken from your card for a purchase that never went through and reversing the        transaction may take some time.
5. You are at risk of it not being in good shape especially when it comes to electronics and when once  its  been delivered, you can't send it back.
6. Deals that look too good to be true are just that. They are too good to be true!


I had an experience with one of our Nigerian online stores (name withheld so I do not spoil market for them). I was just looking through their website, minding my own business when I saw a waist trainer on sale for N1,800. According to them the initial price was N10,000 and had now been slashed to that price and delivery was N1,500 making it N3,300, I thought it was really cheap for a 'waist trainer'. The only thing is that the picture that was displayed for this waist trainer was not really clear, when I zoomed in on it it became blurred so I just acted by faith and added it to my basket. Men and brethren, when it was delivered to me what I got was a a girdle! When I opened the parcel I was like, Are you kidding me? My girdle that I bought from the market for N500 was far better than what I had in my hands. My girdle knew how to 'enter and comot' in the right places for those days I needed to feel like a coke bottle shaped individual. To say the least I was heart broken after so much expectations and plans on how I was going to rock my trainer.

That's just one of so many instances. I've heard other people's experiences of how they've lost so much money when something goes wrong. This is not to discourage anyone from shopping online but just to remind us to exercise caution when doing these kind of transactions.

Have a lovely weekend y'all!




PHOTOCREDIT: www.thedrum.com

No comments: